Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Bless the Child by Cathy Cash Spellman - Online Book Club Review

It only makes sense that my first Online Book Club review be of my very favorite novel of all time: Bless the Child by Cathy Cash Spellman.

I read this book every few years, because as I grow and learn, the book takes on new meaning and gives me all sorts of new insights. Plus it's extremely entertaining, and it is fast-paced and so full of different thoughts, ideas and settings that I always seem to catch a new element every time I read it.

Bless the Child has it all, action, suspense, good vs. evil, love, the power within AND it manages to incorporate all sorts of different religions with a strong emphasis on spirituality that i find addicting. (You'll come to know me as absolutely loving spiritual topics)

In Bless the Child we follow our heroine Maggie, a young and active grandmother who acts as caregiver to her very special granddaughter, Cody. When Cody's estranged mother, Jenna, comes back into the picture to take Cody and raise her, Maggie's world falls apart. From there a whole new world of angels and demons becomes a reality for Maggie and she must take on the battle of good vs evil starting all the way back in ancient Egypt.

Each character is so wonderfully developed. Cathy Cash Spellman really has a way with making the characters three dimensional.

Ok so now on to my big old pet peeve about this wonderful book. The movie. The very bad movie. If you've seen the movie Bless the Child starring Kim Basinger, do NOT judge the book on it. It doesn't even come close.

My favorite part of the book: The past life regression aiding her in her quest
My least favorite part of the book: I wish it wouldn't have ended!

On a scale of 1-10
Writing style: 8
Character Development: 10
Content: 10
Impact on me personally (negative or positive) : 10

Have you read this book? If so, leave a comment on what you thought of it! Know of another book like it? Leave a comment about it!
What book has influenced you or made a major impact on your life? Do you have a book like this that you read every few years? Let us know what it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment